Adrian first arrived at CUM (as it then was) in 1973 to be a resident whilst he completed his legal studies in London; it was supposed to be one for year. CUM and Bermondsey changed the course of his life as he has discovered 'faith in the city'. Adrian married another resident (Marian); bought a house in Bermondsey and raised his family here. He has been a Trustee for about 10 years.
Why I became a Trustee and what I hope to achieve:
I first became involved with Salmon Youth Centre, Cambridge University Mission as it then was, when I came to London in 1973 to complete my legal studies after university. I was a Volunteer Resident for four years, the experience changed the course of my life.
I found a new career through CUM and met my wife, who was also a resident and local helper. Together we bought a house in Bermondsey (almost impossible in 1978) and raised our family of three wonderful children here.
I became a Trustee in 1999 (when the redevelopment was still a dream) and Chair of Trustees in 2010. I want to use my experience to help steer SYC into a successful and sustainable future so that it can continue to provide high quality youth work for the children and young people of north Southwark from its distinctively Christian basis.
I was born in Leeds, Yorkshire and raised near Tonbridge in Kent. I trained and qualified as a lawyer, but have never practised. I worked for a housing association in Tower Hamlets for the whole of my working career, starting as the first and only member of staff. Following retirement, I cared for my elderly father-in-law, with whom we lived, from Sept 2010 until his death 16 months later. I attend St. James Church Bermondsey and I have been a member of the General Synod of the Church of England since 2000.
I completed the London Marathon 10 times between 1992 and 2003 and have performed as an Old Time Music Hall chairman on several occasions (mostly at CUM.)
Relevant Educational and Professional Qualifications:
Law Degree (1973); Admitted as a Solicitor (1981) – non-practising. Member of the Chartered Institute of Housing.
Current / Last employment:
Retired as Chief Executive of Gateway Housing Association in Tower Hamlets in 2010.
Other organisations of which a Trustee/Director/Office holder:
- Dulwich Helpline & Southwark Churches Care (Deputy Chair);
- St. James Bermondsey PCC (Lay Chair);
- Bermondsey Deanery Synod (Lay Chair);
- Southwark Diocesan Synod (Lay Chair);
- East End Community Foundation (co-opted Trustee);
- Peter Hills CoE Primary School (Governor);
- Jesus College Cambridge Society (Secretary);
- Victoria Park Homes (1965) Limited (Treasurer).
- Who We Are > Media Releases > Statement >
- Who We Are > Our Team > Adrian Greenwood >
- Goodbye Snowy Davoll, and thank you for the Salmon legacy... >
- Who We Are > News & Events > Calling all Salmon / C.U.M "Resi's" - we need your views! >
- Who We Are > News & Events > Salmon achieves PQASSO Level 2 Quality Mark >
- Who We Are > News & Events > In Memory of Snowy: BODS Reopens In March Wood, Ashford >
- Who We Are > News & Events > In Loving Memory - Jim Guild Passes >
- Who We Are > News & Events > Remembering Mike Whinney >